ew dynasties in BJP
Here is a news analysis of BJP’s Congressisation:
BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi has often derided Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi as “shehzada (prince)” in his election rallies and refers to the Congress as a “sultanate (kingdom).”
But when it came to ticket allotments, the saffron party behaved no differently and nominations for princelings abound.
The sons of two sitting and three former chief ministers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are in the fray in the Lok Sabha polls despite the party’s stated opposition to “dynastic politics”.
Anurag Thakur, son of former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, is re-contesting from Hamirpur in Himachal Pradesh, while Varun Gandhi, MP and son of party leader Maneka Gandhi, has shifted to Sultanpur from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh. Sultanpur is adjacent to Congress vice president and Varun’s cousin Rahul Gandhi’s Amethi constituency.
Poonam Mahajan, daughter of former union minister Pramod Mahajan, is the BJP candidate from Mumbai North-Central.
Former union minister and party MP Yashwant Sinha’s son Jayant is fighting for his father’s Hazaribagh seat in Jharkhand.
Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh’s son Rajbir Singh is contesting from Etah.
In Delhi, former chief minister Sahib Singh Verma’s son Parvesh Verma, an MLA, is the party candidate from West Delhi.
Dushyant Singh, son of Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje is fighting from Jhalawar in the state.
Chhattisgarh chief minister Raman Singh’s son Abhishek is the party candidate from the Rajnandgaon Lok Sabha constituency.
The Mahajan-Munde Family
• Pramod Mahajan(1949 – 2006) – Parliamentary affairs minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee government
• Gopinath Munde (1949-2014) – Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj in Narendra Modi’s Cabinet
• Poonam Mahajan – Member of Parliament from Mumbai North Central
• Pankaja Munde – Minister of Rural Development, Women and Child Welfare in Devendra Fadnavis government
• Pritam Munde – Member of Parliament from Beed
The Fadnavis Family
• Shobha Fadnavis – Member of Maharashtra Legislative Council aunt of Devendra Fadnavis
• Devendra Fadnavis – Chief Minister of Maharashtra
• Vasundhara Raje, Chief minister of Rajasthan
• Dushyant Singh, Lok Sabha Member, son of Vasundhara
• Raman Singh, current Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
• Abhishek Singh, son of Raman Singh, member of Lok Sabha from Rajnandgaon
Parkash Singh Badal, Current Chief Minister of Punjab.
• Sukhbir Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab and President of the Shiromani Akali Dal
• Harsimrat Kaur Badal, wife of Sukhbir, current Union Minister for Food Processing Industries and current Member of Parliament from Bathinda
• Gurdas Singh Badal, Member of Parliament from Firozpur
• Manpreet Singh Badal, former minister Punjab